PD Session held on Saturday, January 16, 2016 at The Anchor Presbyterian Church
Home of The Circle of Friends Nursery School
Lots and Lots of Engineering Play...
How does this translate to STEAM Activities?
The Creative and Critical Thinking was not just STEAMing...It May as Well Have Been Smoking!
- Does melon float?
- Does the shape of the melon boat matter if we try to sail it?
- What shape is a sail?
- How many ways can we make a sail that stays on without any glue or tape?
- Can we use a blow dryer to see if wind will make it sail?
- What is the difference in speed when my ramp is lined with foil versus grip shelf liner?
- How can our students make ramps that stay in place without tape? I think they need a role of tape in the block area from now on.
- How can we save our ramps and roadways when it's time to clean up? Have children draw a diagram to rebuild? Have children help take photos with the ipad or digital camera?
- What makes the cylinder column hold more books than the traingle or square column?
- What is the name of the shape that is a traingle column? a square column?
- What is the math we can learn with the straw and bubble blowing activity?
- How do we incorporate the arts into these activities? (Mrs. Wishy Washy projects???)
- Is it a Must to have each component of STEAM when we work on a STEAM project?
- What would this building challenge be like if we had two cubes to support the building instead of only one?
- How can we make a base of sticks for our tower without any tape or glue?